Wednesday, May 26, 2010

La-Di-Da-Last-Week

I've been putting off posting because I've been waiting to think of something witty/clever/reflective to say in my last days/SLASH My hard drive is full, and so I have to clean some stuff out before I can upload pics.

I will tell you that Hue was great. What I saw of the city was really quite lovely: a citadel, an old pagoda, some dead guys' tomb.... But to be perfectly honest, my cultural consumption ability isn't what it was in August, and I spent most of the time swimming in the hotel pool with the other Fulbrighters. We were just such a cool crew: Corinne once lived on a commune, Mia worked for Hilary, Mark has tattoos, Tam wants to go into medicine, Uyen likes math, Jen's a teacher (and married!), Emily cares a lot about sex trafficking, Sofia's family is Jewish, Hayley was an All American runner, and I like to write, read, and plan things.

How am I spending my last week in Viet Nam? Grading exams, running the Drama Competition, packing, packing, packing, and getting responsibly excited to go home. I say "responsibly excited" because I'm trying to give myself the OK to be a little overwhelmed and shocked about home. I didn't know what it would be like to move here, and I don't know what it will be like to move home...but I do know that home has good things I'm ready to get back to, like JCrew and Starbucks, and other shamelessly capitalist ventures which I hold dear.

The other thing that's exciting about going home is that I'm going to take some of my extra Fulbright cash to buy a Bicycle! I've loved riding my bike around Hai Duong and other places in Vietnam, and I can't wait to have a mode of transportation in New York!


Oh, and I just made this my facebook pic, but my mom doesn't have facebook so I'm posting it here. This is of me and this little girl named Linh I met at a wedding a few weeks back. She was my buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment