Monday, May 17, 2010

I love Hoi An.

It’s a week later, and I still can’t quite put into words how much I loved Hoi An. If you’re planning on traveling to Vietnam, I’d definitely advise that you make sure not to miss this place.

First of all, it has a beautiful beach. I mean, just a lovely view, luke warm water, nice sand, open space, great sun.

The first night we were there, we stayed late on the beach and had a seafood picnic by oil lamp. People set up mats all over the beach and we ordered all kinds of seafood, which they cooked on little coal fires nearby. Then, as the sun went down, people brought out these little oil lamps made out of 2 broken bottles. The food was great, the beer was cold, and the atmosphere was divine.
In additional to the fantastic beach, the town itself is ADORABLE. It used to be a main trading port for Japanese, Chinese, and European merchants (hence this Japanese covered bridge in the center of town pictured below), and it is the only place in Vietnam that has completely preserved roads and buildings from the 16th to 19th centuries. Its lovely just to walk around, but on top of that its filled with great tailors and shopping. I went into the weekend vowing that I wouldn’t buy anything.... I walked out with a little tan trench coat, 2 beach dresses, and some sandals. All made to order. But only for $60! Ee gads.(Corinne loves Hoi An, too.)

So my friend Corinne and I spent the weekend shopping, lounging on the beach, reading by the hotel pool, and eating amazing food. The last day Corinne had an early flight, so I rented a bike and trolled around town all morning by myself. Then, in the afternoon, I continued riding and found a more secluded beach. For the rest of the day I read a trashy romance novel, ordered clams to be brought to my rented beach chair, wrote bad poetry in my journal, and played peek-a-boo with little sand crabs. As an aside, have you ever noticed how silly crabs are? Seriously. The funniest animals alive. I also spend a lot of time swimming solo in the ocean amidst the most docile jelly fish I’ve ever encountered. Twice one floated into me, and neither time did I get stung! That’s Hoi An...Everyone is happy. Le Sigh....
(The Crabby's hole)

(The Crabby.)
In 2 days I head to Hue, the Ancient Capital down in Central Vietnam, for my Fulbright End of Year Seminar. END OF YEAR! Can you believe it? 16 Days and I’m on my way home. In the spirit of full disclosure, I have to admit that I’m definitely ready and I can’t wait to touch down at JFK. Still no job...but that’s ok. I’m not looking to start anything until August. I have some summer obligations, like going to Vegas for Scott’s birthday, hanging out with my dad at our cabin, swimming at the pool where my little sister is a lifeguard, and spending a week in Sea Isle, NJ with my fam. Priorities, people. Priorities.

1 comment:

  1. Covered bridge!!!
    Moreover: Sand crabs are silly, maybe. Terrifying? Definitely.

    ReplyDelete