Saturday, February 20, 2010

What's Hot in Kampot?

So Yeah. Cambodia was pretty fascinating. After the trip to Siem Reap/Angkor Wat and Phnom Penh, Corinne, Emily and I headed to Kampot. While we loved our first two stops in Cambodia, we were looking to get away from the droves of tourists. For our third and final stop, we headed to a little river town called Kampot.

Driving through the Cambodian countryside, you can definitely see resemblances to the South of Vietnam. The starkest difference between the two Mekong-sharing countries is really the size of population; Cambodia just has so many fewer people than Vietnam!!You drive through Vietnam, even in the countryside, and the roads are fully lined with cinderblock houses and the traffic never seems to let up. In Cambodia, the traditional wooden houses are scattered hundreds of meters apart, and there are stretches of road with nary a motorbike in sight.

Cambodia also appears to be at a younger stage of development than Vietnam. That being said, the tourism is certainly just as, if not more so, developed in Cambodia. With fewer people and a more concentrated area of tourists than, say, Hanoi, the cities in Cambodia feel more accessible. However, outside the main cities, Cambodia seems to be living in that stage of development where a country is finally on a somewhat even keel, but has not yet started cleaning out its cupboards--whereas Vietnam has emptied its cupboards and is now hurling cans of peas and corn in every direction. It’ll be interesting to see how further change comes to Cambodia, versus how development and rebuilding has succotash-ed Vietnam.

But enough about that! What’s Hot in Kampot?!


Emily and Corinne, obviously.

Kampot is cute. Cute town. Cute restaurants. Cute kids. The only thing to do there is really eat by the river (which is lovely) and go up to Bokor National Park (which we did).

A charming young Cambodia man named You-Run (phonetically) was our guide. And here's a special message for my mom:

We were told there would be a 2 1/2 hour hike up the mountain before arriving at what was once a French hill station. We were not told the 2 1/2 hour hike up the mountain would be more like a 2 1/2 hour hike up the steep side of a cliff.






Eventually we made it to the top, or almost to the top; they sent a truck to pick us up for the last leg. The hill station was kind of freaky. If Angkor Wat is ancient ruins, this place is modern ruins. The French left in 1954, but Cambodian people still lived in the town and stayed in the hotel until the Khmer Rouge drove them out in 1975. Today all that’s left are the stone shells of a ghost town, some of which has been riddled by Khmer Rouge bullets. Spooky, yes, but kind of cool to explore.




The most exciting (not in a good way) event of my day came when I realized I was missing my camera. We were away from the old hotel at that point, but I thought maybe I’d left the camera on the back steps. You-Run ran with me back to the hotel, but neither of us could find the camera.

Surprise, surprise, I started to cry...Then You-Run said that he felt like crying, too...it was all quite a scene.

Then You-Run remembered that a lady selling drinks by the abandoned hotel had quickly gathered her things and suspiciously skedaddled away after I had bought some crackers. She lived nearby, so You-Run called the local ranger and said we would go see her.

On the way, You-Run asked if I had any money. I said yes.

Next You-Run asked if I would pay money for my camera. I said yes.

We went to the woman’s house and asked her if she had my camera. She saw my $20 and said yes.

Bribery, anyone?

You-Run was very upset about the whole thing, but who could blame the lady? I’m the idiot who left my camera on the cracker table:(.

And that, my friends, brings us to the end of my Cambodia trip...All in all, Cambodia was quaint, hip, and educational; the three best qualities a place can possess, if you ask me.

Next stop: Laos!! Let’s just say there were elephants....stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment