Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Killing Fields

The most memorable part of my Cambodia trip was visiting the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum and the Choeung Ek Killing Fields. I had a basic knowledge of the Cambodian Genocide and the Khmer Rouge before my trip, but looking back I don't really remember learning about that time of history in any high school or college class. History classes always seemed to get only as far as Kennedy's assassination and the Vietnam War before the semester ended.

Didn't they know a lot has happened since then!?

I figure this mind-gap of history is probably the case for a lot of other Americans as well. I made this video slide show to try to put together the pieces of what happened in Cambodia for myself, and maybe it can fill in some gaps for other people, too.

While Cambodia's recent history is grim, the country does appear to be healing. Just last year Cambodian High Schools began teaching about the Khmer Rouge and genocide in history classes. A better understanding of their own history will only help the Cambodian people to continue to move forward.

2 comments:

  1. It's just chilling that this so-recent past can be so hidden. Thank you for sharing what you've learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddie~ I just wanted to say how touched I was by your video. Thank you for posting and making more people aware of the genocide that has happened and continues to happen in countries outside of the US. These people should be remembered and their incomprehensible suffering acknowledged by the world.
    Chelsea Allman

    ReplyDelete