Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Avoid the Thit Cho....

Thu Ba: Tuesday
Word of the Day: Cho: dog

So this past weekend I returned to Hanoi to see some friends, find a hamburger, and take a shower-not-in-a-bucket. I am happy to report that I had success on all three of these fronts.

On Sunday, my friend Mia and I took a cycling day trip to Hoa Lu and Tam Coc. We rode through some villages, saw some water buffaloes (IN THE WATER!), and went through a cave via boat. See Exhibits A, B, and C.




Exhibit A.


Exhibit B.

Exhibit C.

All in all, it was good to focus my energy on an excursion of some kind. I am finding that the more active I can be here, the happier I will be.

On the trip, our tour guide was a Vietnamese man named Ang who was very skilled at making animal noises. Non-stop. His goat was especially impressive.

As we were rowing along this river through beautiful limestone formations, Ang asked if I had ever eaten dog. I said, "No, I have not. I have a pet dog, and her name is Lady."

People in Vietnam also have pet dogs, so I asked him what the difference is between your pet dog and a dog you eat. He said, "Oh, you would never eat your own dog. But you would eat your neighbor's. One time I ate my girlfriend's."
...
I asked if that made her upset. He said she never found out.
...
Later in the day, after he asked me if I have a "lover" (a question which I am asked at least once a day, and just like that, "Do you have a lover?"), I asked him if he still had a girlfriend.

He said No.

MAYBE BECAUSE YOU ATE HER PUPPY, DUDE.

This is one of the loves of my life, Lady Felix. I will never eat dog, Lady. I promise.
Exhibit D.
Love of my life.
(More pics from the weekend on my facebook album: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2164219&id=10902081&l=c02b62e408)

2 comments:

  1. hmmm you only have a bucket shower? i had one too. they get real old, real fast. and never actually got all the soap out of my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick and I laughed out loud at this post for some time. Maybe because you ate her puppy!! Classic. Parker is proud of you for not eating dog:)!

    ReplyDelete