Thursday, September 17, 2009

Assimilation

Thu Nam
Thursday

I'm one of those people who feels best when I look best--(Is there anyone who isn't one of those people?)--and I decided that the condition of my thick, humidity-infused coif was becoming a detriment to my mental health. Something had to be done.

Today I spent 5 hours in a salon chair getting my hair cut, semi-permanently straightened, and styled. In other words, Vietnamesatized. It cost me $15.00.

This is assimilation I can get used to.

My friend Bac took me and explained to the owner of the salon what I wanted done.
Shorter. Straighter. Easier.
She then told me that she and the owner, a man named Hieu, both agreed that when I was finished I would look much more beautiful and much more like a Vietnamese. Well, a girl can dream, can't she?

Over the course of the 5 hours, I think I had 10 different people work on my hair. At one point there were 4 people all touching my head at the same time, each doing a small, specific task.

Is this what communism is all about?

All in all, I must say I am very pleased; they did a great job. When I was finished, Hieu said he thought I looked like Victoria Beckham. I said, "Which half of me? Which half of me looks like her?"

Because Posh Spice is half my size...Because she's so skinny...Get it? Funny? Yes?...sigh....

No one got my joke. I'm not funny in Vietnam.

Here's the 'do:
Yes, I took this picture of myself. Yes, I was alone in my apartment.
Sometimes I am my own worst nightmare of a woman.

8 comments:

  1. Your hair looks great!! Why is it that I have to pay 6 times as much only to leave the salon looking 1/3 as good?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just another reason for you to come to Vietnam in December...hehe. Dad saw me on Skype and was like, "That's an Alix haircut."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I just realized this is Alexandra Scuro, not my sister! Haha. Well, come visit, too, Alexandra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is an Alix haircut but its adorable! Did you get it lightened as well or is that just the photo? I love it Mad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you do look like posh! you should have played her during the OL costume party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot that you did! But I wore the leather catsuit, so who's the winner really?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooo i love it! in indonesia i used to get something called a "creambath," where basically someone puts a bunch of oil into your hair, massages it in for an hour, and then blowdries it completely straight and shiny. it cost $3. i would go sometimes twice a week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I had any time and/or money (really one or the other would do), you know I'd so come over and let you practice your tour-giving skills! And take me to your awesome hair salon. And get one of your fancy purple + fireworks manicures.

    ReplyDelete