Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Singing Party

There are a few local party members (not party like "it's my 30th B-day, are you coming?", party like "here's my hammer and sickle, you're coming") who take English classes with some of the teachers here. They had heard I was working at the college and asked to meet me. I wasn't really sure what to expect walking into their class, but all my fears were laid to rest when I was greeted with applause and handed a moon cake.

The class went really well. The people were just curious about me and really wanted the chance to talk to a native English speaker. They asked me all the usual questions: How old are you? Are you married? Do you have a lover?*** Etc. Etc.

When I asked them why they were learning English, a number of them said they want to be able to teach their children English so they'll have more opportunities. The oldest man said he wants to learn so he can be better at his job as a politician when working with foreigners.

This same older man then asked me if I knew the song "California Dreamin." I said, yes, of course.

And then he sang it for me. Every single verse. While maintaining direct eye contact.

I just sat there thinking, "There is a party member serenading me to the Mama and the Papas. And no one else in the room thinks this is funny."

Hysterical. But here's the thing: I wasn't even that surprised. That's just Vietnam for you.




***after 2 months of being asked about my lover, and blushing every time, I finally figured out that one Vietnamese word for boyfriend or girlfriend is "nguoi yeu," which translates to "love person"...or "lover." There ya go. (I think the term "love person" is fantastic: "This is Maddie. Yeah dude, she's my love person.")

No comments:

Post a Comment