Thursday, August 20, 2009

Inoculated

Thu Nam Thursday
Vietnamese Word of the Day: Me--mom (because I miss mine)

I have been inoculated.

-Hep A
-Typhoid
-Rabies
-Japanese Esyphilities (which until yesterday I still called Japanese Syphillus)

I am one of the few Fulbrighters who arrived to spend 10 months in Vietnam without these shots. "Why so stupid, Maddie?" I'll tell you why: because Fulbright required me get a physical, an HIV test, and a test to see if I was especially prone to Malaria, but they didn't give me so much as a list of recommended vaccines, preventative measures, or anything! Then, I get to VIETNAM and every piece of paper that comes in front of me is telling me all of the ways I may die if I'm not vaccinated!

FURTHERMORE, my doctor in New York also didn't give me any vaccination recommendations ! He didn't even offer to write me a prescription for malaria pills! I had to ask him on a later date! Mark my words Lawrence Adler of 9th Avenue Family Practice, you are no friend of mine.

But all of that is in the past. I am now thoroughly shot up and protected. That's the good news.

The bad news is that I have a splinter in my upper lip from my chopsticks. It hurts.



4 comments:

  1. I'm sure Laurence Adler is shaking in his boots. But I bet he could help you with that splinter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you mentioned mosquitoes on FB, I wondered if you had the joy of taking malaria pills. Maybe they are better now, but I used to hate taking them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who are you, fishmagic? :)
    I have a pack of malaria pills in case I really go out in the bush or the rice paddies, but I should be fine in my town. Here's to hoping at least...thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete